- Ice water is certainly not thirst quencher though it may provide relief during the summer months. During summer months pot water is the best.
- Jaggery, contrary to what many people think, is not devoid of calories. Though it does have micro nutrients, one must consume it judiciously, because calorie-wise itis as much as you'd find in refined sugar.
- Water melon is summer is soothing, refreshing fruit. You do not catch cold by eating it.
- Curd and Ice cream are perfectly alright to have it in any weather. If only one have allergic condition, it should be avoided.
- Lime with a dash of ice can really perk you up in a warm summer day. It is a fallacy that you catch a cold if you drink it.
- Pulses except chenna and rajma are okay to have even if you have loose motions. When you are having the runs, protein is important. Even plantain is good as it has soluble protein, which is an important binding agent.
- Tomotoes, guava, and fruits with seeds do not cause kidney or bladder stones. There is absolutely no scientific basis to this commonly held view.
- Cucumber is a wonderful summer vegetable. To say cucumber should be avoided in the summer months is not doing justice to this vegetable. It is also low in calories.
- It is important to remember there are no "hot" and "cold" foods according to any scientific classification.
Inputs from Dharini krishnan Consultant Dietician
my brother had icecream at -6 degrees in cardiff and could not speak of sore throat for 2 weeks.