Naalaayira Dhivya Prabhandham is not only famous for its Devotion (Bhakthi), but also for its beautiful Tamil. This was made known to many ordinary people by writer Sujatha. I have taken up this enormous job, and there are possibilities of errors/omissions. Readers are requested to be free in pointing out them, to make this subject, perfect.
The Nalayira Divya Prabandham (Tamil: நாலாயிர திவ்ய பிரபந்தம்) is a collection of 4,000 verses (Naalayira in Tamil means 'four thousand') composed before 8th century AD, by the 12 Alvars, and was compiled in its present form by Nathamuni during the 9th – 10th centuries. The work is the beginning of the canonization of the 12 Vaishnava poet saints, and these hymns are still sung extensively even today. The works were lost before they were collected and organized in the form of an anthology by Nathamuni.
The Prabandha sings the praise of Narayana (or Vishnu) and his many forms. The Alvars sung these songs at various sacred shrines. These shrines are known as the Divya Desams.
In South India, especially in Tamil Nadu, the Divya Prabhandha is considered as equal to the Vedas, hence the epithet Dravida Veda. In many temples, Srirangam, for example, the chanting of the Divya Prabhandham forms a major part of the daily service. Prominent among the 4,000 verses are the 1,100+ verses known as the Thiru Vaaymozhi, composed by Nammalvar (Kaaril Maaran Sadagopan) of Thiruk Kurugoor.
The Tiruvaymoli ("words of the sacred mouth") is one of the Divya Prabandha, an important liturgical compilation of the Tamil Alvar Bhaktas, collected in the 9th century by Nammalvar. The author self-identifies as a lovelorn Gopi pining for Krishna.
These once thought of being lost were collected and organized in the form of an anthology by Nathamuni.
Nathamuni was born in Veera Naarayanapuram (Veeranam) or present day Kaattu Mannaar Koil. There is a lot of gap in time between Thirumangai Alvar(the last alvar) and Nathamuni. In this dark period, nobody knew what happened to the 4000 verses.
Legend has it that once Nathamuni heard some people reciting the decad of 'Aaraavamude' of Nammaazhvaar at Kumbakonam. Captivated by these paasurams,he wanted to know more about them. One of the verses also mentioned 'aayiraththul ippaththu' (Tamil: these 10 out of the 1000). When Nathamuni enquired about the remaining 990, the people who sang the 10 did not know anything about the other verses. But as the song mentioned the name and place of the alvar (kurugoor satakopan), Nathamuni proceeded to Thirukurugoor and asked the people there about Swami Nammazhwar's 1000 verses.
The people did not know the 1000 that Nathamuni wanted, but they told him about 11 pasurams of Madhurakavi Alvar, who was the disciple of Nammaazhvaar (Kanninun Siruthaambu. They asked him to go to Thiruppuliaazhwar, the place were Nammaazhvaar lived, and recite these 11 pasurams for 12000 times. Nathamuni did as advised, and pleased with his penance, Nammaazhvaar granted him not only his 1000 pasurams, but the entire 4000 parsurams of all the alvars.
Details of Pasurams
The following table shows the details of the 4000 pasurams.
|Sl no ||Name of the prabandham ||Starting from ||Ending with ||Number of pasurams ||Sung by |
|1 ||Periazhvar thirumozhi ||1 ||473 ||473 ||Periyalvar |
|2 ||Thiruppavai ||474 ||503 ||30 ||Aandaal |
|3 ||Nachiar tirumozhi ||504 ||646 ||143 ||Aandaal |
|4 ||Perumal thirumozhi ||647 ||751 ||105 ||Kulasekara alvar |
|5 ||Thiruchchanda viruththam ||752 ||871 ||120 ||Thirumalisai alvar |
|6 ||Thirumalai ||872 ||916 ||45 ||Thondaradippodi alvar |
|7 ||Thiruppalliyezhuchchi ||917 ||926 ||10 ||Thondaradippodi alvar |
|8 ||Amalanadhi piran ||927 ||936 ||10 ||Thiruppaan alvar |
|9 ||Kanni nun siruththambu ||937 ||947 ||11 ||Madhurakavi Alvar |
|10 ||Peria thirumozhi ||948 ||2031 ||1084 ||Thirumangai alvar |
|11 ||Kurun thandagam ||2032 ||2051 ||20 ||Thirumangai alvar |
|12 ||Nedum thandagam ||2052 ||2081 ||30 ||Thirumangai alvar |
|13 ||Mudhal thiruvandhadhi ||2082 ||2181 ||100 ||Poigai alvar |
|14 ||Irandam thiruvandhadhi ||2182 ||2281 ||100 ||Bhoothathalvar |
|15 ||Moonram thiruvandhadhi ||2282 ||2381 ||100 ||Peyalvar |
|16 ||Naanmugan thiruvandhadhi ||2382 ||2477 ||96 ||Thirumalisai alvar |
|17 ||Thiruviruththam ||2478 ||2577 ||100 ||Nammalvar |
|18 ||Thiruvasiriyam ||2578 ||2584 ||7 ||Nammalvar |
|19 ||Peria thiruvandhadhi ||2585 ||2671 ||87 ||Nammalvar |
|20 ||Thiruvezhukkurrirukkai ||2672 ||2672 ||1 ||Thirumangai alvar |
|21 ||Siriya thirumadal ||2673 ||2712 ||40 ||Thirumangai alvar |
|22 ||Peria thiru madal ||2713 ||2790 ||78 ||Thirumangai alvar |
|23 ||Thiruvay mozhi ||2791 ||3892 ||1102 ||Nammalvar |
|24 ||Ramanusa noorandhadhi ||3893 ||4000 ||108 ||Thiruvarangathamudhanar |
|Total number of pasurams ||4000 |
- http://www.mediafire.com/?2yfmy5znd2z Opening
- http://www.mediafire.com/?xwuuxn2mmmz Seethakkadal 21 Maanickam 10 Thann mugaththu 8
- http://www.mediafire.com/?yzymwyfnjiy Thann mugaththu 2 Vuyyaa ulagu 11 Maanicka kinkini 11 Thodar sangil kai 3
- http://www.mediafire.com/?ml2jiyizyfy Thodar sangil 9 Ponniyal 11 Vattu naduve 10 Mechchudu
- http://www.mediafire.com/?inzqmjzk2z2 Mechchudu 5 Aravanaiyaai 11 Poypattu 13 Vennai alaindha
- http://www.mediafire.com/?ztymymvzwzo Vennai alaindha 8 Pinnai manaalanai 10 Velikkol 10 Aanirai
- http://www.mediafire.com/?wrzg5tzzydt Aanirai 6 Indiranodu 10 Vennai vizhungi 11
- http://www.mediafire.com/?0dgx5kdyykj Aatrilirundhu 10 Theneraayiram 11 Anjana vennanai 10 Seelaikudambaai
- http://www.mediafire.com/?hm0tmgty1go Seelaikudhambaai 8 Thazhaikkalum 10 Attukuvi 11
- http://www.mediafire.com/?4mgidiijaw3 Naavalam 11 Aiya puzhudhi 11 Nalldhoor 10 En naadhan 1
- http://www.mediafire.com/?jnghfzy02cz En naadhan 10 Nerindha 10 Kadhiraayiram 10 Alamba 4
- http://www.mediafire.com/?gkwtymlceqm Alamba 7 Uruppini 11 Navakaariyam 11 Asaivaai 3
- http://www.mediafire.com/?zwmtmc3gn0c Asaivaai 7 Kaasum 10 Than kai 11
- http://www.mediafire.com/?a0hmwwontkm Maa dhavaththon 10 Maravathiyal 11 Thipputai 9
- http://www.mediafire.com/?ymnknzjzim1 Thipputai 1 Vaaku 10 Neykuththai 10 Dhukkachuzhalai 7
- http://www.mediafire.com/?m0y4gmowqzk Dhukka chuzhalai 3 Senniyonku 11 Aandaal's Thiruppavai 10
- http://www.mediafire.com/?ziijwzxiya2 Thiruppaavai 20
- http://www.mediafire.com/?2mlyjizqvtd Naachchiyaar thirumozhi - Thaai oru 10 Naamamaayiram 10 Kozhi azhaippadhan
- http://www.mediafire.com/?ommtwudn0jn Kozhi azhaippadhan 3 Thelliyaar 11 Mannu perumpugazh 11
- http://www.mediafire.com/?kykwlbmmwzz Vaaranamaayiram 5 Karpooram 10 Vinnela melappu 10
- http://www.mediafire.com/?fznmcmxlmqi Sindhoora 5 Karkottai 10 Thamukakkum 10
- http://www.mediafire.com/?4nykd0qmgn2 Maatrirundheerkatku 10 Kannan enum 10 Patti meyndhu 8
- http://www.mediafire.com/?yhin252n4aj Patti meyndhu 2 Kulasekara Aazhwar's Iruliriya 11 Thettarum
- http://www.mediafire.com/?ugiwujynmyo Thettarum 1 Meyyil 9 Unaru 11 Tharu thuyaram 9
- http://www.mediafire.com/?qvyiim2keod Tharu thuyaram 1 Ermalar 10 Alai neel 11 Mannu pugazh
- http://www.mediafire.com/?nmnjmbygizu Mannu pugazh 8 Vanthalininai 11 Ankanettu 5
- http://www.mediafire.com/?k0womzti41z Ankanettu 6 Thirumazhisai Aazhwar's Thiruchchandha viruththam 23
- http://www.mediafire.com/?og5lmgm32nx Thiruchchandha viruththam 37
- http://www.mediafire.com/?m5emzndk4al Thiruchchandha viruththam 37
- http://www.mediafire.com/?lnmyjmjmmlh Thiruchchandha viruththam 23 Thondaripodi Aazhwar's Thirumalai
- http://www.mediafire.com/?nvzmd5jjdoz Thirumalai 29
- http://www.mediafire.com/?byzn5dmzutg Thirumalai 12 Thiruppalli yezhuchchi 10
Thiruppan Aazhwar's Amalanadhipiran 10 ahurakavi Aazhwar