Mantras are sound vibrations that permeate every cell of your being; they let the mind dissolve. Mantras are impulses or rhythms of consciousness. They create spiritual vibrations.
Mantra is that which saves you from repetitiveness. A repetitive thought is a worry. Mantras help to free you from worries. Often we wonder why we chant some sounds without understanding their meanings. Can something that we do not understand, help us?
The meaning of every mantra is infinity. It is a sound vibration beyond the cognition of the mind. When the mind is unable to do this, it simply dissolves and moves into a meditative space.
A mantra is like a seed. Every seed has the potential to become a tree. Similarly, these sound vibrations contain all the possibilities of creation. Some mantras are in seed form, called the bija mantras. Others are fully expressed, that is the fruit of the mantra is also expressed, like the Gayatri mantra.
Mantras are a secret. That which is kept a secret alerts the subconscious mind. Mantras work at the level of consciousness. When we want a seed to sprout, it needs to be sown into the soil, hidden, a secret. If it is simply thrown around, birds may eat them up. We can read and learn about mantras and their uses from books and the internet but that will only satisfy the intellect and not translate into experience.
When we chant the mantras, or listen to them, we get purity of mind and word. This prepares us for meditation. As a result of the sound vibrations, different patterns of the mind rearrange themselves to become tranquil. Agitation is reduced, helping us to turn inward. For instance, when we laugh, our happiness increases. When we cry, the heaviness of sorrow is released. Just as sounds of laughter and crying help, mantras act similarly. Repetition of mantras creates a psychological or mental response that is deep, beyond the realm of words or expression. It can only be experienced. Speech falls short as it cannot go beyond expression into the experiential level.
When the mind is calm and centered, it can turn inward. Only a mind turned inward can experience the vastness and beauty of Divine Consciousness. When our focus is outward on the objects of the senses, our mind is scattered; it races after one craving or other. Physical senses seek to know all about the external universe. Meditation is the tool for inner exploration. 'Antarmukhi Sada Sukhi' – one whose mind is turned inward is ever in bliss. Mantras are tools that allow the mind to dissolve and repose in the Self.
Why should we repose in the Self? How is this going to help us in our day-to-day life? When a river is calm, it reflects. When the mind is calm, there is greater clarity of expression. Our sense of observation, perception and expression improves. As a result, we are able to communicate effectively and clearly.
Most of our problems and misunderstandings arise because of a lack of effective communication. When our mind is free from agitation, the way we interact and communicate is much more pleasant and effective. Our efforts are not hindered by communication gaps. This leads to a lot of positivity in outlook.
Mantras are as subtle as the air that creates ripples in the water as it gently moves over it. Air is all-pervading and at the same time affects specific regions. The field of mantras is also one such. It is all-pervading; it creates an impact on the one who is practising.
(By Bhanumathi Narasimhan, who is the director of women and child welfare programs of The Art of Living)
the above extract sent to me by Mr. K.N. Ramesh.
The following manthras are given to me by my dear friend Mr. Parameswaran from Bombay.
- http://www.mediafire.com/?rrdgrq4d4r6oan4 Introduction
- http://www.mediafire.com/?gmeoj4m748uynh0 Sunrise manthra to be chanted after waking up in the morning
- http://www.mediafire.com/?lyvmc2d16h8wdma Manthra to be chanted after bath
- http://www.mediafire.com/?aizg5q8op1pwg5v Manthra to be chanted in the pooja room
- http://www.mediafire.com/?bjh11rjy22qqrbf Manthra to be chanted before partaking food
- http://www.mediafire.com/?k4luf1wat3uw60l Manthra to be chanted before leaving your home
- http://www.mediafire.com/?a24zlbijg880zmz Manthra to be chanted in the evening before sunset
- http://www.mediafire.com/?luldp54i4qvn1gn Manthra to be chanted before going to bed at night
- http://www.mediafire.com/?lxsam5yqiimkuun Manthra to overcome obstacles
- http://www.mediafire.com/?9iqx2x1pu5jik59 Manthra to obtain the patronage of your higher officials at work
- http://www.mediafire.com/?2ijdi0h2hap1213 Manthra to overcome your enemies
- http://www.mediafire.com/?to7t9lhdx7fo4yc Manthra for those who need job according to their qualifications
- http://www.mediafire.com/?65ylhd5o9uvtc5b Manthra to overcome fear
- http://www.mediafire.com/?9cp1b0o1qbsxgwr Manthra to discharge debts
- http://www.mediafire.com/?90h53262408hb1f Manthra to get back misplaced or lost property
- http://www.mediafire.com/?bs47vcku2woacow Manthra to achieve success in judicial courts property
- http://www.mediafire.com/?cv8la12khcsjvqn Manthra to improve wealth
- http://www.mediafire.com/?o84yknd4wwybkk4 Manthra to achieve success in your children's education
- http://www.mediafire.com/?ojuftbecdo2ogsr Manthra to keep ourselves pure in our utterences
- http://www.mediafire.com/?rk7hg8f2dgc8h93 Manthra to get mental solace
- http://www.mediafire.com/?lkndu6zexknkbm7 Manthra to live a long life
- http://www.mediafire.com/?5biw29yqbkoq4wl Mangalam