A very interesting incident about the components of 'effective communication' is narrated in Valmiki Ramayana, the great Indian epic.
In the Ramayana, Hanuman meets Lord Rama and Lakshmana for the first time in the forests and introduces himself and his master Sugriva.
This is the first meeting of Hanuman with Lord Rama.
Impressed with the way Hanuman, communicated, Lord Rama admires the communication capabilities of Hanuman.
In the 7 or 8 slokas, Lord Rama explains the important aspects of communication skills of Hanuman, that impressed him most. They are:
1. Hanuman spoke very briefly. Not too long or too short. He spoke only for the required level;
2. He also spoke with clarity and without ambiguity;
3. He spoke without any grammatical errors;
4. He used only appropriate words, that cannot be replaced with any other word;
5. He spoke in a medium voice that is audible to the other person. Not too loud or too feeble;
6. His pronunciation of words was correct. The way he was pronouncing the words was like a music and it was pleasant;
7. All the words spoken by him, went to the heart straight.
While addressing the Business Communication course students of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Chennai, Mr B S Raghavan IAS (Retd) explained the seven aspects of communication skill of Hanuman, that impressed Lord Rama. Mr B S Raghavan is one of the senior retired bureaucrats of India and he has served as the first Secretary of National Integration Council, when Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru was the Chairman.
Mr Raghavan is a well known columnist in Hindu Businessline.
The seven aspects explained earlier, summarises the components of effective communication, that are described in millions of pages in various text books.
Please listen to Mr B S Raghavan by clicking the 'play' button. (5 minutes).
sent by Mr. K. N. Ramesh