SALUTE TO SHRI RATAN TATA
- The relief and assistance was extended to all those who died at the railway station, surroundings including the “Pav- Bha ji” vendor and the pan shop owners.
- A psychiatric cell was established in collaboration with Tata Institute of Social Sciences to counsel those who needed such help.
- The thoughts and anxieties going on people’s mind was constantly tracked and where needed psychological help provided.
- Employee outreach centers were opened where all help, food, water, sanitation, first aid and counseling was provided. 1600 employees were covered by this facility.
- Every employee was assigned to one mentor and it was that person’s responsibility to act as a “single window” clearance for any help that the person required.
- Ratan Tata personally visited the families of all the 80 employees who in some manner – either through injury or getting killed – were affected.
- The dependents of the employees were flown from outside Mumbai to Mumbai and taken care off in terms of ensuring mental assurance and peace. They were all accommodated in Hotel President for 3 weeks.
- In a record time of 20 days, a new trust was created by the Tatas for the purpose of relief of employees.
- Whatg is unique is that even the other people, the railway employees, the police staff, the pedestrians who had nothing to do with Tatas were covered by compensation. Each one of them was provided subsistence allowance of Rs. 10K per month for all these people for 6 months.
- A 4 year old granddaughter of a vendor got 4 bullets in her and only one was removed in the Government hospital. She was taken to Bombay hospital and several lacs were spent by the Tatas on her to fully recover her.
- This was the most trying period in the life of the organisation. Senior managers including Ratan Tata were visiting funeral to funeral over the 3 days that were most horrible.
- The organisation is clear that it is not something that someone can take credit for. It is not some training and development that created such behaviour. If someone suggests that – everyone laughs
- It has to do with the DNA of the organisation, with the way Tata culture exists and above all with the situation that prevailed that time. The organization has always been telling that customers and guests are #1 priority
- The hotel business was started by Jamshedji Tata when he was insulted in one of the British hotels and not allowed to stay there.
- He created several institutions which later became icons of progress, culture and modernity. IISc is one such institute. He was told by the rulers that time that he can acquire land for IISc to the extent he could fence the same. He could afford fencing only 400 acres.
- When the HR function hesitatingly made a very rich proposal to Ratan – he said – do you think we are doing enough?
- The whole approach was that the organisation would spend several hundred crore in re-building the property – why not spend equally on the employees who gave their life?
This is NOT COVERED BY Any NEWS CHANNELS
Mail sent by Ms. Lalitha Narasimhan